Who doesn’t have a warm childhood memory of eating banana bread? This vegan recipe adds a summer healthy spin to classic banana bread with pineapple, mango, and coconut oil.
Bananas are a go-to egg substitute in baking, and banana bread is pretty much made for this substitution. We replaced butter with coconut oil for a healthier “good fat”, and, it helps with the binding eggs generally do in banana bread. Plus, coconut oil makes the bread super moist and offers just a hint of coconutty flavor.
Now, the real tropical twist comes in with the pineapple and mango: This isn’t your grandma’s banana bread recipe, after all. These bold fruits provide fresh pockets of flavor, sure to surprise and delight your taste buds and set the summer mood. The pineapple also adds just a hint of pineapple upside-down cake essence. Not to mention these fruits pair really well with banana and coconut oil.
This was Roots and All’s first attempt at a vegan banana bread, and I was a little nervous about replacing the egg with more banana. But, believe me when I say this tasted better than any non-vegan banana bread that I’ve had. The texture is seriously so soft and moist, especially coupled with the peices of fresh fruit.
The easy to follow recipe is outlined below. Once the pan cools, I recommend cutting the banana bread into 1″ thick slices and enjoy as is or toasted with a light spread of coconut oil (Speaking of, our coconut oil is on sale for 8.99 and available through Amazon Prime). Mmm. Get ready for your new favorite summer snack!
Vegan Tropical Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup (1 large) pureed banana
- 1/2 cup melted Roots and All coconut oil + a small amount to grease the pan
- 1/4 cup vanilla coconut-based yogurt
- 1 1/4 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 large) mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup pineapple
- 1/2 cup mango
- Optional: additional fruit or unsweetened coconut flakes to serve
How to Make it:
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Grease a 4 by 12 inch loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- Combine pureed banana (not mashed banana), coconut oil, yogurt, sugars, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and combine. Stir into above mixture.
- Stir in mashed banana.
- Stir in diced pineapple and mango.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Let loaf cool before removing from pan.
- Serve toasted with coconut oil spread on top.