It’s that time of the year again when all I want to do is curl up with some comfort food and watch some Netflix. There’s just something about it being completely dark by the time I get off work that diminishes my adventurous spirit.
I don’t necessarily think thats there’s anything wrong with moderate hibernation, but I have some work to do when it comes to what I’m munching on. The dishes I prepare can be pretty bread and/or cheese heavy, and while delicious, they seem to be contributing a little too much to my “winter bod”. That being said, I’m always on the hunt for food that is both healthy and satisfying.
Needless to say, I was super excited when my coworker brought in this concoction thought up by bon appetit: Blistered Green Beans with a Spicy Miso Glaze. Warm, full of flavor, with a Thai Two Friends-esque taste, this dish is both satisfying and nutritious. Plus, its vegan and vegetarian diet friendly.
The base, obviously, is green beans, which are a great source of of vitamins A, C, and K; as well as folic acid and fiber. Consuming these elements can improve bone health, and even help to fight depression. On top of being chock full of nutrients, green beans are low calorie. The dish is amazing with just green beans, but if you love Two Friends, you can modify the recipe to half green beans, half snap peas.
The glaze is what really makes the dish, and that spicy kick is sure to warm you up and boot any cold that may be lingering in your system. The garlic contrasts nicely with the sweet taste of the coconut oil, and all the different flavors complement the seared texture of the base.
Next time you’re tempted to order a pizza, make this instead! Your body, tastebuds, and pocketbook will thank you.
- 3 finely chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons white miso
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons Roots and All extra virgin unrefined coconut oil
- 1.5 pounds fresh green beans
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
How to Make it:
- Combine garlic, miso, lime juice, and agave nectar in a bowl.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan on medium-high (Do not exceed 350° F).
- Add green beans to pan. Do not stir for two minutes, or until they begin to blister.
- Cook for 8-12 minutes, tossing often, until they are tender and blistered.
- After the beans are blistered, remove the pan from heat, and mix the garlic combination into the green beans.
- Add red pepper flakes, sea salt, and black pepper as needed.
We hope you enjoy it as much as we did! Be sure to tag us in your creation on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or WordPress with the hashtag #tryrootsandall!
Need some coconut oil for your recipe? You can get ours right here! We’re USDA organic, non-GMO Project Verified and Fair Trade Certified.
One thought on “Vegan Blistered Green Beans Recipe”
Pingback: Cheese Infused Fried Polenta with Garlic Sage Drizzle – Roots and All